Monday, February 20, 2012

Evanescence in manila Feb 19, 2012



Bush frontman Gavin Rossdale in the crowd



Evanescence on stage


I've been a fan of Amy Lee's vocals since I heard Bring me to Life back in 04 and I'm fortunate enough this year that I get to see them live in our shores! We went there and arrived at the gates around 7:30pm and got immediately inside. The first thing that struck me was the number of vacant seats around..hmmm..is it still too early? but the concert is scheduled to start at 8pm...oh well..
At exactly 8pm Bush came on stage as the opening act..I'm not a big fan of this band because I think their sound is so generic and they don't have anything new to offer..heard them first when they participated in Wood Stock 99, and..well my opinion about them didn't change last night..the only notable thing they did is when the front man/husband of Gwen Stefani went around Araneta getting up close and personal. This pumped up the crowd screams in high decimal levels..after that zzzs again..their set lasted 1 hour.
Interruption for 40 minutes for setting up the rig of the main act..eating up overpriced hotdogs and coke..then  Will Hunt came on stage and started pounding the drums. This guy can make you headbang just by himself! One by one they came on stage..Amy the last..I think there is something wrong with the set up in the sound system because she sounds garbled..I'm not a sound engineer or some professional big shot but everybody can discern by ear what is good or not..and last night was a bummer..she started singing the newer stuff and I'm a little bit loss but Evanscence is Evanescence whether you know the song or not..Amy is doing her stuff on stage working the pinoy crowd..she can really headbang without getting dizzy spells! Her voice has this haunting sound to it even with the bad system..then she sang their oldies which made the crowd go wild..
Piano + Cello + Amy = Perfect Combination! Their last song of the night was My Immortal ..
How do I sum the concert? 3 stars on a scale of 5..it was the sound system that made it not so great..oh well until the next time..




1 comment: